Blues Uniform Dress Requirements
For more information, please view the Cadet Guide. The requirements below are a shortened version based off of what the Cadet Guide says, and is only to be used as a quick reference. Cadets are still expected to read and understand the cadet guide, and will be held accountable if they forget any requirements, even if it's not listed here.
- Hair will be clean, well-groomed, and present a professional appearance. Any artificial coloring of the hair must result in natural colors. Extreme hairstyles such as mohawks, mullets, or etched designs are unauthorized.
- Wigs and hairpieces must not exceed the prescribed limits for natural hair, must be of good quality and fit, present a natural appearance. They can not be used to cover unauthorized hairstyles.
- Fingernails must be clean and never exceed 1/4 inch in length.
- Only wear the insignia, badges, ribbons, and accessories issued by or authorized by the instructors.
- Eyeglasses and sunglasses are authorized but must be conservative. Faddish styles are prohibited. Sunglasses are not authorized in formation, with the exception of medical reasons.
- Watches are authorized but must be conservative. Cadets may wear one conservative bracelet around their wrist, which may not show any inappropriate pictures or writing, and may not show support for a cause or organization. Medical alert/identification bracelets or traditional metal POW/MIA/KIA bracelets are always authorized.
- Any necklace must be concealed under the shirt.
- Hair must naturally conform to the shape of the head without eccentric directional flow, twists, or spiking. Hair must not touch the ear, protrude under the front band of headgear, and must be closely cut on the back of the neck.
- Any hair extensions, nail polish, or cosmetics are prohibited.
- Cadets must be clean-shaven with no beards and mustaches. Sideburns will be straight and even, ending in a clean-shaven horizontal line.
- Hair must have the maximum bulk of 3 ½ inches from the scalp, end above the bottom edge of the collar, and allow proper wear of headgear. Bangs must not touch either eyebrow.
- Long hair must be neat and secure, without any visible clips and hairpins that disrupt the professional image of the cadet. The clips and hairpins must be black or match the color of the hair. (Hair may hang loose while in school uniform or PT gear.)
- Locs, braids, twists, micro-braids, french braids, dutch braids, and cornrows are authorized, yet should still be maintained to present a neat, professional, and well-groomed appearance.
- Cosmetics must be moderate and in good taste. Lipstick may not distinctly contrast with the cadets’ complexion.
- Nail polish must be a single color that does not distinctly contrast with the female Airman’s complexion or uniform. Fingernails must not interfere with the performance of assigned duties.