Competitive process includes Physical Fitness Test scores, aviation knowledge test, GPA, recommendations.
The US Air Force JROTC implemented the first-ever Flight Academy program in 2018 that fully funded scholarships for 120 high school Air Force JROTC students to attend university flight schools during the summer after their sophomore, junior, and senior years. The scholarship paid for travel to a participating university, room and board, as well as all tuition and fees associated with the program. Students who completed the program earned their private pilot's licenses as well as up to 12 college credits. The program was so successful the last 2 summers (150 in 2019) that the number of slots is planned to increase again for the summer of 2020. The program is open to Cadets nationwide in the AFJROTC program. It is competitive, and the application window will open September 9th, 2019.
1) 9 Sep: Flight Academy application window opens
2) 7 Oct – 4 Nov 19: Aviation Qualification Test (AQT)
3) 8 Nov 19: Sophomore cadet application suspense
4) 15 Nov 19: Junior cadet application suspense
5) 13 Dec 19: Senior cadet application suspense
6) 6 - 10 Jan 20: Selection board
7) 13 Jan 20: Notify Select and Alternate cadets
8) 14 Jan - 28 Feb 20: Complete FAA Class I Flight Physical
9) 14 Jan - 13 Mar 20: Complete FAA Student Certificate
10) 16 - 27 Mar 20: Selects matched to universities
11) University program start dates WILL vary